Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: athiest
hyper_psycho_panda
Panda Ranger

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 08:30 AM
athiest

Why does the word athiest sound so....wrong.

I don't know...at the hospital they were like "and we have your religion listed as athiest" and it sounded so dirty. it wasn't the lady's tone of voice, either.

i know the word has negative connotations, but they don't really affect me. i think of myself more of an agnostic, by the way.

BUT ANYWAYS.

The word athiest sounds so heavy, it's not aesthetically pleasing nor is it pleasant when said out loud.

the hard vowel sounds i think are somewhat to blame. It's not soft and friendly, it's a harsh sounding word.

I just wish...it didn't sound so condemning. Lol.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Mizerable Death
A.K.A. Marix

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 05:27 PM

It is supposed to sound hard.
It stands for anti theism, and anti is a hard word.

AHHH!!!!!
It is the Mizerable one now known as MarixD
hyper_psycho_panda
Panda Ranger

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 06:28 AM

but anti doesn't exist in the phrase atheist; it is alluded to, but the actual sound "anti" isn't in the phrase itself.

Theism is semi hard to begin with, but the addition of the a at the beginning just adds another level to it.

It feels like a dirty word to me; not the meaning, but the sound.

Like the word lesbian. I am a lesbian, but i HATE the word lesbian.

It sounds disgusting.

A like aesthetically pleasing words.

I guess my argument is just that some words, while their meanings have nothing wrong with them at all, are just a mashup of syllables that sound unnatural.

Avenue, for existence; i discovered that i hate that word in i think my senior year of high school. i said it out loud and i made a face.

aghhh.

i have friends who have problems with certain words, too. like one of my friends almost puked at the word "meal".

haha.

o.O

[Edited on 1-11-2008 by hyper_psycho_panda]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Steve_Distortion

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 01:59 AM

Atheist --> Atheo meaning no or non, theos obviously meaning god (latin). There is nothing "anti" about atheism. I'm an atheist, and I'm not about to call for the burning of churches and holy text. I mean, it's be really cool, but probably counter productive. Atheists have debated over this exact discussion for quite awhile, and have wrought about numerous sub-genres and names such as "humanist" -- but personally I don't see the problem with atheist. We just live in a country where "god" makes it's way into the anthem, onto the money, and sad but so, into politics. We've just been conditioned into believing those terms have a negative connotation.

This link will direct you to a discussion that has been raging for close to 2 years on Richard Dawkin's site. It's an interesting read if you have the time.
Mizerable Death
A.K.A. Marix

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 02:35 AM

Ok, I am not an atheist, I am an anti theist.
There might be a god, but I am against him/her.

AHHH!!!!!
It is the Mizerable one now known as MarixD
Steve_Distortion

[*] posted on 4-11-2008 at 01:34 AM

That's like being anti-santa clause or anti-easter bunny though. In your "anti" stance against something, are you not validating it as a legitimate entity? Unless you do believe in some brand of theism, and at the same time loath said sky daddy, then I suppose...
Spineless

[*] posted on 28-4-2009 at 03:57 PM

That's why when someone asks me what my religion is, I say I don't have one. I don't like tacking a label on myself. The only reason labels exist is to organize and recognize groups. I'm not a fucking sheep and I'm not branded cattle.
Why go along with it? For the other persons convinence?
The Malevolant Seraph
The Dark Philosopher

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 03:19 AM

There's only one thing worse than spending your life believing something exists. And that's refusing to believe something exists.

There's no black and white. My cousin's an atheist. He's worse than a Bible-humper trying to shove anti-religion down my throat.

Is there anything wrong with living with/without God? No. Just live man, who gives a shit. If you're going to dedicate your whole existence to arguing with people about the existence (or non-existence) of God, what the hell kind of life is that, anyway?

Pixen K
Pixel Vixen

Mood: Joyous

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 03:59 AM

Hey Amanda, you should look into Deism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

I was a little bit undecided in religion and still don't adhere to anything completely because that's having a dangerously closed mind. I studied EVERYTHING trying to find some kind of connection and only really grasped onto Buddhism but more as a life-style philosophy.

I heard about Deism and decided that it was the closest to what I felt as a personal truth. It's for those who believe in a "God" but more of a non-interfering type who doesn't have a hand in the course of our lives. That's me because I don't see "God" as being a "person" per se.

Considering myself an Agnostic most my life, and even for a short period an Atheist, it was nice to find I could reconcile my beliefs. Anyway, I thought you might like it if you consider yourself an Agnostic. Not trying to promote any religion (although I don't consider this stuff religion, more of "belief systems") but it's cool to read a point of view that you can dig.
hyper_psycho_panda
Panda Ranger

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 04:53 AM

Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Apparently I told my hospital that i'm an athiest, because whenever you check in for anything there, even bloodwork, they run through all of your info and read it to you to make sure it's correct. and the lady last time was all "and your religion is.......athiest....." and looked disgusted. hahaha.

it's just that..i like "belief systems" more than i do "religions". i obviously don't fault anyone for having faith in one thing over another (although...i do poke fun at scientologists sometimes..it's just too hard not to :X)

:3 fanks again! hehe

Go To Top

Developed By The XMB Group © 2001-2008